Shade Tree Commission
- 5 pm
- The 4th Tuesday of the month
- Monument Hall - East Conference Room
1 Monument Drive
Princeton, NJ 08540
Visitors are invited to comment and make presentations at the beginning of each meeting. All meeting dates are subject to change. Please check the calendar for updates.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Sharon Ainsworth, Chair
- Lily Krauss, Vice Chair
- Victoria Airgood
- Welmoet Bok van Kammen
- Patricia Frawley
- Alexandra Radbil
- Janet Stern
- Raymond Devoe, Alternate 1
- Sandra Chen, Alternate 2
- Municipal Council Liaison: Michelle Pirone Lambros
The Princeton Shade Tree Commission (STC) advises the Mayor and Council on all issues related to trees and shrubs and works with employees and residents of the municipality to maintain the health and diversity of the town's urban forest and street trees. At its meetings, the STC invites the public to air concerns and has responsibility for deciding appeals and recommending informal resolution of complaints.
The STC is authorized to review tree surveys, removal plans, and planting plans submitted with land development applications and report on its findings to the planning board or zoning board.
Further Responsibilities in the Community
The STC also:
- Inventories Princeton's municipal trees
- Promotes public awareness of proper tree care
- Alerts residents and the municipality to threats from pests, diseases, and other potential dangers
- Proposes and writes ordinances, amendments, resolutions, and policies relating to trees
- Works with the arborist to complete and adhere to the five-year Community Forestry Management Plan submitted to the New Jersey Community Forestry Council
- Assists in renewing Princeton's Tree City USA status
- Participates in Arbor Day each year
- Distributes hundreds of seedlings annually at public events
Of interest to residents of Princeton is the tree inventory that is currently being updated. To access the current inventory, please follow the instructions provided in "How to Look Up a Municipal Street Tree in the Princeton Tree Inventory (PDF)".
Tree City USA
Princeton is pleased to have been designated a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation.
If you have questions or comments for the Shade Tree Commission, complete the Contact the Shade Tree Commission form.